Don’t you love it when purchasing PC parts, you get them all unboxed and start putting them together but then you realize that something you have isn’t compatible, or you forgot to order something? Yeah, sure is fun.
I’m building ash and myself a slightly more modern computer than what we have now and I thought I ordered everything I needed. It was all delivered yesterday so last night I started putting things together only to get to the power supply and realize that the main motherboard power connector from my power supply is only 20-pin, not 24-pin. Doh. So time to order a new power supply.
In the end, here is what I ordered:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5200DOBOX – Retail -Â $60.99
- ECS BLACK SERIES A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard – Retail -Â $69.99
- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5″ Internal Hard Drive – OEM – $42.99
- CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5C – Retail – $69.99
- OKGEAR 6 ft. HDMI cable ,male to male ,black Model GC6HDMI1 – OEM -Â $4.99
- LOGISYS Computer PS480D2 480W ATX12V Power Supply – Retail – $14.99
The motherboard has an HDMI output on it and Ash’s 21.5-inch LCD (HannsÂ·G HH-221HPB Black 21.5″ 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor – Retail) has an HDMI input so I figure we’ll give that a shot versus VGA.
I love how affordable PC parts are these days. It’s so cheap to buy 4GB of memory for a PC when a few years ago, that would cost hundreds of dollars.
I hope to put Windows 7 on this beast and it should be pretty awesome.
Also, I think I have the flu and it sucks. Tired/achy/headache/sore throat/congested/101.2F temperatre/sudden onset of symptoms/etc. I have never felt so sick – yesterday anyway. I feel a little better today but not well enough to go in to work. I took a sick day yesterday and lazed around the house. Last night I started feeling better but that’s always how it goes – I feel so terrible during the day but after a shower in the evening, I get some of my strength back. It happens every time I get sick. So today I’m working from home. I hope to install VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 on 3 new blades that we have at work and then upgrade them to ESX4 to see how the process goes.